It’s election day in Texas and voters in Odessa have state and county offices on the ballot with everything from who will represent this district in Washington down to county party chairs.
Social media bickering has heated up particularly in some GOP races that will be decided today as there are no Democratic challengers.
The race for county judge between Chris Fostel and Debi Hays and the race for county commissioner for Precinct 2 between incumbent Greg Simmons and challenger Brandon Tate have both seen a large social media push in the last few days.
Tate’s and Simmons’ Facebook pages had supporters of each candidate continuing to argue the merits for their candidate – while many also attacked Tate or Simmons.
The county judge race was a particularly commented upon race over the weekend.
Fostel’s wife, Gabby Fostel, took to the Odessa American’s Facebook page to complain following the news Friday that her husband had missed a campaign finance report deadline.
“As the spouse I can say I am ready for this to be over. It’s amazing how ugly things can get. How slanted a local paper can obviously be. I guess you never really know how dirty local politics can be until you enter that world. It’s no wonder honest, straightforward people can’t get elected in Odessa. There is so much money feeding the corruption,” the post stated.
In total, 5,817 (both in-person voting and mail ballots) were cast during early voting.
Ector County Elections Administrator Lisa Sertuche last week said overall early voting totals were still lower than she would like to see, but the turnout ended up being a little better than the primaries in 2014. During the March 4, 2014 primary, a total of 5,469 people voted early.
Voters can vote today at any voting location.
The following locations will be open today from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.:
- Crossroads Fellowship, 6901 Texas 191 Frontage.
- Ector County Coliseum, 4201 Andrews Highway.
- First Baptist Church, 709 N. Lee St.
- First Church of the Nazarene, 2223 Lyndale Drive.
- Gardendale Community Building, 4226 E. Larkspur Lane, Gardendale.
- Getsemani Church, 8431 S. Highway 385.
- Goldsmith Community Building, 301 Ave. H, Goldsmith.
- Holy Redeemer Catholic Church, 2633 Conover Ave.
- Lincoln Tower, 311 W. Fourth St.
- Lutheran Church of the Risen Lord, 1603 N. Grandview Ave.
- MCH Primary Care-East, 3001 JBS Parkway.
- MCH Primary Care-West, 6030 W. University Blvd.
- Murry Fly Elementary, 11688 W. Westview Drive.
- Northside Senior Center, 1225 N. Adams St.
- Odessa College Sports Center, 201 W. University Blvd.
- Odessa Christian Faith Center; 180 Youth Building, 8828 Andrews Highway.
- PAL Center, 1015 N. County Road West (10th Street and West County Road).
- Pleasant Farms Community Building, 4455 W. Apple St.
- Salinas Community Building, 600 W. Clements St.
- Sherwood Church of Christ, 4900 N. Dixie Blvd.
- Slator Community Building, 1001 W. 38th St.
- St. Elizabeth’s Catholic Church, 7601 N. Grandview Ave.
- VFW Bingo Hall, 208 E. 63rd St.
- Westlake Hardware, 4652 E. University Blvd.
- Woodson Community Building, 1010 E. Murphy St.