Take a look at the news in and around Odessa on Monday, Feb. 19. Find complete local news coverage in the Odessa American every day, online at oaoa.com and our daily E-Edition at myoaoa.com.
1. In office since 2004 and chairing the House Agriculture Committee, U.S. Rep. Mike Conaway seeks another two-year term against the opposition of fellow Midland Republican Paul Myers and Democrats Eric Pfalzgraf of Odessa and Jennie Lou Leeder of Llano.
2. State Sen. Kel Seliger, R-Amarillo, and former Midland Mayor Mike Canon have faced off for the District 31 Senate seat before, but restaurant owner Victor Leal, R-Amarillo, is new to the mix in the March 6 primary.
3. Some 20 Odessa High School mariachi students will strum their way to Edinburg for the third year running for the UIL State Mariachi Festival later this month.
4. It’s Presidents Day and a Monday so the Museum of the Southwest is closed — but you can celebrate a day or two late and have a chance to see the artwork of a former president who once called West Texas home.
5. IN SPORTS: The UTPB Falcons men’s basketball team put on one last show for the home crowd Saturday, jumping out to a big early lead and rolling to a 92-78 Lone Star Conference victory over Texas A&M Kingsville on Senior Day at the Falcon Dome.