MHS Theatre student earns top state honor

MIDLAND Midland High School’s theatre program has another star in the making. Junior Madison Coleman was recently awarded the Texas Theatre Scholar Award by the Texas Thespians for the 2023-24 school year.

Earning the designation came after Coleman submitted to a rigorous application process. Aside from being an active member of the MHS Theatre department, the scholar designation also requires a record of academic excellence.

“Receiving the Texas Theatre Scholar Award is truly an honor,” Coleman said in a news release. “I am grateful for the support of my teachers, fellow students, and MHS theatre community.”

Coleman’s journey in theatre began as a stage crew member during her freshman year. She started acting during her sophomore year, and was a part of the team that claimed the UIL One Act Play state championship last spring. Coleman is also actively involved with the costume crew and props department.

“Madison’s dedication to her craft and her commitment to excellence are inspiring for our entire program,” MHS Theatre Director Tiffany Gardner-Moore said in the release. “She embodies the spirit of our theatre, and I am immensely proud of her accomplishments.”

Coleman’s recognition also reflects positively on the theatre department as a whole. The award brings notoriety and prestige to the program, potentially opening doors for future scholarships and opportunities for our students, the release said.