Shooting leads to drug charges

A shooting early Friday morning led to the arrest of a married couple on multiple felony drug charges.

According to an Odessa Police Department report, officers were notified around 5:15 a.m. there was a gunshot victim at Odessa Regional Medical Center.

When officers arrived, they learned Tiffany Self had been shot in the arm, but she refused to talk to them, the report stated.

Officers knew Self stayed at the Odessa Motor Inn on East Second Street and when they arrived they found a blood trail leading to the room she shares with her husband, Anthony, the report stated.

Anthony Self, 56, initially told officers an unknown person shot his wife and fled. However, he later told them he tripped and accidentally shot her after grabbing his gun, thinking someone was breaking into their room, the report stated.

Anthony Self

Officer found a .40 caliber Smith & Wesson and a Taurus .38 Special revolver in a dumpster near the Selfs’ motel room, the report stated. They also found a backpack with a 9 mm pistol, Ecstasy tablets and methamphetamine in the same dumpster.

Inside the room, officers found a .40 caliber spent cartridge case, multiple scales, baggies, marijuana, three pounds of suspected Ecstasy, 10.5 grams of suspected methamphetamine and 92 grams of suspected cocaine, the report stated.

Anthony Self told officials he’s been selling drugs out of the motel room, but he said he didn’t know how the drugs got in the dumpster, according to the report.

Both suspects were arrested on suspicion of three counts of manufacture/delivery of a controlled substance and Anthony Self is also facing one count of aggravated assault causing serious bodily injury.

According to Ector County jail records, Tiffany Self was arrested by Odessa Police in February on two drug possession charges and on suspicion of unlawful carrying of a weapon by a felon. She was released after posting surety bonds totaling $50,500. She’s now being held on surety bonds totaling $75,000.

Jail records show Anthony Self was also arrested on drug possession charges in February. He was released after posting surety bonds totaling $25,500. He’s now being held on surety bonds totaling $125,000.