GOOD NEWS: SRSU’s future educators honored at TSTA convention

Students pictured with TSTA State Advisor Clinton Gill, left, include (from the RGC campus) Samantha Segura, John David Perez, Kimberly Hernandez, Darissa Cervantes and Rosario Cordova; and (from the Alpine campus) Janelle Molinar, Caitlynn Almance, Breeana Hernandez, Ashleigh Hinson and Giselle Hernandez, along with Dr. Jennifer Miller-Ray and Dr. Melissa Wesney. (Photo Courtesy of Sul Ross State University)

ALPINE Caitlynn Almance, a Sul Ross State University senior from Odessa, was elected as the president of the Texas State Teachers Association-Aspiring Educators, a professional association for college and university students preparing to teach.

TSTA is the Texas affiliate of the National Education Association, headquartered in Washington, D.C., with

over three million members working for public education for every student.

Almance is a theatre major with a double concentration in acting/directing and film studies. She was a Lobo cheerleader and a member of the Student Government Association. She was elected from a slate

that included students from far larger schools like Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Lamar University and the

University of Houston.

Following graduation in December, she intends to pursue a master’s degree in Education at SRSU.

“I care about public education because I saw my mom teach in public schools, and I have a passion for the politics involved in doing what’s best for public schools,” she said.

Sul Ross State’s Education program had a big showing at the TSTA-AE convention in San Marcos last weekend.

In addition to Almance’s election, the Rio Grande College group was awarded with “Outstanding Chapter,” “Largest Membership Increase” and “Largest Membership Percentage Increase” while Samantha Segura was elected the president of District 1, which encompasses the Middle Rio Grande Valley area up to San Antonio.

From the Alpine campus, Breeana Hernandez was elected president of District 6, which includes Far West Texas through El Paso.

Students traveled to the conference Dr. Jennifer Miller-Ray and Dr. Melissa Wesney.

For more information, visit tsta.org.