Take a look at the news in and around Odessa on Wednesday, Jan. 31. Find complete local news coverage in the Odessa American every day, online at oaoa.com and our daily E-Edition at myoaoa.com.
1. The Ector County Highways and Streets Department is gearing up to begin their proposed summer road maintenance project: a sealcoating of almost 25 miles of damaged roadways across the county.
2. The University of Texas of the Permian Basin will sponsor a conference in late February that dives into water and energy issues critical to the region and to the industry that drives its economy.
3. An expired registration led to the arrest of three men by Odessa police who reportedly had fabricated identification cards.
4. With Teen Dating Violence Month coming up in February, Ariel Thurber’s class at George H.W. Bush New Tech Odessa is creating public service announcements for the Crisis Center of West Texas.
5. IN SPORTS: The Permian Panthers boys basketball team kept rolling through District 2-6A, defeating Wolfforth Frenship 54-29 Tuesday night at the Permian Fieldhouse to open the second half of the district schedule. The Odessa High boys basketball team rolled to a 76-61 win over Midland Lee on the road on Tuesday.