Take a look at the news in and around Odessa on Saturday, Feb. 3. Find complete local news coverage in the Odessa American every day, online at oaoa.com and our daily E-Edition at myoaoa.com.
1. A group seeking to expand the Odessa City Council after a year of controversial decisions submitted a petition Friday at City Hall to force a May election so Odessa voters can decide on the proposed changes.
2. Ryan Stebbins had just moved to Odessa a few months ago to begin working with his brother, before he was shot in the chest during a carjacking in what the Odessa Police Department is calling the first homicide of the year.
3. Grace McDonald’s bond was reduced from more than $2 million to $200,000 on Friday when she posted out of jail, records show. The
4. Odessa police charged a suspect this week who reportedly punched his girlfriend several times and threatened to kill her.
5. A man who police say violated a protective order and stabbed his girlfriend several times in the neck, chest and stomach has been charged by the Odessa Police Department.
6. BONUS: IN SPORTS: The big question for Odessa High and Permian entering this week’s University Interscholastic League realignment announcement was whether the Bronchos and Panthers would be placed in a district of six, seven or eight teams.
The biennial UIL realignment meeting quickly turned into chaos as area teams saw what guaranteed games they’d play over the next two seasons.