Take a look at the news in and around Odessa on Thursday, Feb. 1. Find complete local news coverage in the Odessa American every day, online at oaoa.com and our daily E-Edition at myoaoa.com.
1. The West Texas Food Bank is partnering with Odessa College, Midland College, University of Texas of the Permian Basin, The Odessa High International Baccalaureate Program, The Boys and Girls Clubs of the Permian Basin and Trinity School to bring you the 17th Annual Empty Bowls event.
2. Black History month begins today and continues during February, and as a way of celebrating some of Odessa’s brightest African American students, the Black Cultural Council of Odessa will host “An Evening with the Stars” Saturday.
3. The recent sale of Waste Control Specialists ensured that the low-level radioactive waste dump in Andrews County will continue operating with its workforce intact, ending the struggling company’s search for a buyer.
4. Odessa police are investigating a homicide that occurred overnight in the 2200 block of Richmond Street.
5. A man was charged on multiple warrants out of Tarrant and Reeves County Monday night outside of 7-Eleven.