Take a look at the news in and around Odessa on Monday, April 9. Find complete local news coverage in the Odessa American every day, online at oaoa.com and our daily E-Edition at myoaoa.com.
1. City and county elected officials plan to consider ways to build a new courthouse that could include tapping municipal funds for the project or building a shared facility with space for city offices.
2. Ector County commissioners will vote today to approve action allowing the county I.T. Department and TelResource to establish solutions to replace the county’s phone system.
3. A public meeting of the Ector County Independent School District Bond Advisory Committee to discuss a possible bond issue has been scheduled for 5:30 p.m. today in the George H.W. Bush New Tech Odessa cafeteria, 300 E. 29th St.
4. For the last six years, Julie Gray had been visiting her grandmother every week at the nursing home, trying to help her cope with Alzheimer’s disease. Now, Gray and her friend Mary McCourt, whose mother also suffered from Alzheimer’s, are collecting dolls in hopes of helping out other women suffering from Alzheimer’s.
5. Among the scholastic elite of the state of Bihar in Northeast India who qualified for state-sponsored medical educations, Drs. Suresh and Kalpana Prasad met at Patna Medical College and married long before hearing of Odessa or deciding to make their careers here.