Take a look at the news in and around Odessa on Thursday, April 19. Find complete local news coverage in the Odessa American every day, online at oaoa.com and our daily E-Edition at myoaoa.com.
1. The two candidates for Justice of the Peace Precinct 2 came to the Ector County Republican Women meeting Wednesday afternoon to state their platforms and take questions from the community.
2. Nearly 200 area Special Olympics Texas athletes are set to compete in the organization’s area track and field Spring Games on Saturday at Ratliff Stadium.
3. A woman was arrested and charged after Odessa police reported she left her 3-year-old child in her vehicle outside a local night club for an hour while she was inside drinking, dancing and taking selfies.
4. A Texas law firm recently compiled statistics from the Texas Department of Transportation ranking Texas cities with the highest drunken driving fatality rates — and Odessa made the top of the list.
5. IN SPORTS: The Permian Panthers conducted their first session of spring football practice Wednesday at John Wilkins Field in preparation for the 2018 season.