UTPB lecturer turned social media influencer

UTPB Director of Community Engagement in Music and Visual Arts, Eric Baker, also known as eb_trumpet, is a social media hit! His content of funny trumpet videos has racked up thousands of followers on Tik Tok, Instagram, and Facebook. (Courtesy Photo)

By Alexandra Macia

Special from UTPB

UT Permian Basin’s very own Director of Community Engagement in Music and Visual Arts, Eric Baker, has made the Today Show!

Baker, also known as eb_trumpet, is a social media hit! His content of funny trumpet videos has racked up thousands of followers on Tik Tok, Instagram, and Facebook.

Baker’s most recent video of him playing the trumpet while picking up his daughter from school received national attention, gaining millions of views on social media! It was that video that landed him on the Today Show.

His 30 years of experience playing the trumpet mixed with his musical humor and passion for the instrument is the perfect recipe for online success. Yet, he is staying humble… for now!

This is Baker’s first year at UTPB. He’s focused on using his online platform to share positivity and joy. His followers laugh, reminisce, and even relate to his passion for music and the close bond he has with his daughter.

UTPB Director of Community Engagement in Music and Visual Arts, Eric Baker, also known as eb_trumpet, is a social media hit! His content of funny trumpet videos has racked up thousands of followers on Tik Tok, Instagram, and Facebook. (Courtesy Photo)

“It is shocking to me. I have been in the performing arts for a long time, and I am comfortable in front of a crowd,” said Baker. “The scale of the reach my posts have achieved is wild.”

His best performing videos are organic and filmed in the moment. From “Trumpet Mic’d Up” clips (a musical twist on “Athlete Mic’d Up” videos) to sharing pieces of his daily life as a musician, his followers are hooked.

“It is so wonderful to read all the positive comments and see folks share things that bring a smile to their faces,” said Baker. “Remember, Music Is Fun!”

Baker shared his newfound online fame has racked up $12.00 for his pocketbook. So, it’s safe to say he’s not leaving us.