GOOD NEWS: Peggy Dean receives public service award

Whitley Penn Tax Principal Peggy Dean, was recently named the 2020-2021 Distinguished Public Service Award Recipient by the Texas Society of CPAs (TXCPA).

Dean was recognized at the chapter’s annual meeting on June 24.

The Distinguished Public Service Award recognizes TXCPA members who contribute responsibly as citizens of their respective communities, and encourage certified public accountants to actively participate in, and make substantial service contributions to a broad scope of charitable and civic activities and to become leaders in their communities. The award is based on outstanding charitable, community and/or civic activities and other public service unrelated to regular duties performed as a member.

Dean has more than 40 years of tax experience advising clients on income taxation, mergers and acquisitions, succession planning and estate planning. Dean primarily serves clients in the hospitality, oil and gas and consulting industries. She has worked with hundreds of mid-market transactions over the last 30 years and has significant experience in multi-generational family and succession planning and income tax planning for all entity types.

Throughout her career, Dean has received multiple awards for her work in and around the Odessa area including Mary Alice Tidwell Service Award in 2021, Citizen of the year in 2003, the Athena Award, Best CPA of Odessa by the Odessa American, Woman of Distinction by the Permian Basin Council of Girl Scouts, Odessa Business Hall of Fame in 1999, she was named as a Woman to Watch by the Business and Professional Women’s Foundation of Texas, she received the Odessa Chamber of commerce Chairman’s Award for Outstanding Service, was named as a Citizen of the Year for Hobbs in 1985, Young Career Woman of New Mexico in 1977, was First Lady of Odessa, and received the United Way of Odessa Don Williams Award.

Dean is the Finance Chairman for the Wagner Noel Performing Arts Center, Member Presidential Advisory Committee for the University of Texas Permian Basin and serves as a City Council Representative in various other organizations within the Permian Basin area. Additionally, Dean completed service as the at-large City Council member in November 2020.

Dean earned her B.B.A. from the University of the Southwest, formerly the College of the Southwest.

“I have always felt the call to be involved in my community, both in Hobbs and in Odessa, since 1990. I am humbled to be honored for my public service, something that I feel privileged to be able to do,” Dean stated.