GOOD NEWS: Odessa Police Department Vets

Cpl. Michael Hamilton

Cpl. Michael Hamilton has worked at OPD for 8 years. Hamilton served in the U.S. Army for 6 1/2 years. He was on active duty for 5 years and in the National Guard for 1 1/2.

He has multiple deployments to Iraq, Afghanistan, and Africa. He chose the MOS (Military Occupational Specialty) of 31B, Military Police. He has been a K9 handler, MPI (Military Police Investigator), SRT (Special Reaction Team), SRT MO Team (Marksman/Observer Team), D.A.R.E Officer, and many other assignments.

“It was an amazing opportunity to better the life for myself…and it made my mama proud,” Hamilton said.

Cpl. James Kiper

Cpl. James Kiper has been with OPD for 8 years and spent 6 of those years on the Honor Guard. Kiper served 13 years in the U.S. Army, and was a Military Policeman.

He served in Afghanistan during Operation Enduring Freedom from 2009-2010.

“I see service to your country and community as a very noble profession and want to make the world better,” Kiper said.

Lt. Randy Vest

Lt. Randy Vest has been with OPD for 14 years. He was in the U.S. Army for 10 years. He served in several different positions during that 10 years, as a 11B30 Infantryman stationed at Fort Stewart in Georgia, Fort Carson in Colorado, the Joint Security Area in Korea, and Fort Benning in Georgia as an instructor for 3 1/2 years. He was also an E-6 Staff Sergeant.

“I was raised in a military family and wanted to serve. This service contributed to good work ethics and made me what I am today. Time spent in the military also got me familiar with explosives which transitioned into being a certified Bomb Technician for the police department, as well as a drone operator,” Vest said.

His medals include a Meritorious Service Medal, (4) Arcom Medal, (4) Army Achievement Medal, (3) Good Conduct Medal, and an Expert Infantry Badge.

Cpl. Saman Mariwany

Cpl. Saman Mariwany has been with OPD for two years. He served 4 years in the U.S. Army and is currently serving with the Texas National Guard.

His job was M1 Abrams Tank Systems Maintainer and he was awarded the Army Commendation Medal and the Global War on Terrorism Medal.

“I enlisted because of the fight against ISIS since I am originally from Iraq and I spoke the language. There were not enough translators or Arabic-speaking Soldiers within the ranks of the U.S. Army during the initial war and I wanted to be an asset during Operation Inherent Resolve,” Mariwany said.