Valentine’s Day is just around the corner, which is typically celebrated by enjoying an evening out for dinner and a box of chocolates with your loved ones — just in time to break your new year’s resolution to eat healthier. This year, avoid the crowds and temptations by spending time creating a healthy homemade meal with your family, friends or significant other.
A ricotta flatbread with pomegranate salsa (recipe below) is an easy, delicious and festive meal to keep you on track. The vibrant pomegranate arils and cranberries add bursts of color and flavor to the dish, which is sure to get you and your loved ones into the spirit of the day. Best of all, this recipe packs in plenty of nutritional benefits.
Pomegranates are a winter fruit that produce juicy seeds known as arils. These arils are the edible part of the fruit and are an excellent source of antioxidants that can be added to yogurt parfaits, salads, pizzas, cocktails and more. In addition to being a great antioxidant, they also provide vitamin C, vitamin K and fiber.
This recipe also calls for a number of ingredients that contain an array of flavors, such as sweet dried cranberries, paired perfectly with the peppery taste of arugula. Additionally, the reduced-fat ricotta cheese adds a creamy texture, sure to please any palate. However, even though this meal offers great health benefits and rich flavors, the best part of it is that it’s prepared in less than 30 minutes — giving you more quality time with the ones you love most.
Ricotta Flatbread with Pomegranate Salsa
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds (fresh or frozen)
- 1/2 cup dried, sweetened cranberries; roughly chopped
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon fresh orange zest strips
- Pinch salt
- 1 oval pre-baked flatbread, such as Multigrain Flat-Outs
- 8 ounces reduced fat ricotta cheese
- ½ cup baby arugula
1. Place baking stone or sheet pan in oven and heat to 450°F. Combine pomegranate seeds, cranberries, shallot, oil, vinegar, honey, parsley, orange zest and salt in a bowl.
2. Place flatbread on baking stone or pan; toast until warm and edges are lightly toasted, 5 to 10 minutes.
3. Spoon ricotta over warm flatbread and spread lightly. Arrange arugula over ricotta; cut into serving pieces. Top each slice with pomegranate salsa.
Recipe from eatwisconsincheese.com