Take a look at the news in and around Odessa on Tuesday, Jan. 24. Find complete local news coverage in the Odessa American every day, online at oaoa.com and our daily E-Edition at myoaoa.com.
1. For educators gathered for a town hall meeting with state Rep. Brooks Landgraf Monday on the Texas’ A-F accountability system, the consensus was it is not a fair assessment of public schools and it should be revised to be more reasonable.
2. Ector County commissioners approved overtime payments for jailers during their regular meeting Monday, as they’ve done for several years amid ongoing staff shortages.
3. Odessa police arrested a 17-year-old Permian High student Friday in connection with the New Year’s Day robbery of a man who was attempting to sell the suspect a PlayStation.
4. Odessa police reported arresting 11 people and seizing cash in connection with an investigation into prostitution and narcotics at multiple motels in the 2900 block of Highway 80.
5. IN SPORTS: Trailing 79-61 with 4:17 left in the game, Howard College rallied with a 19-2 run to cut the Odessa College men’s basketball team’s lead to a single point, but in the end No. 19 OC hit its free throws down the stretch to come out with an 84-82 victory at the OC Sports Center on Monday.