Take a look at the news in and around Odessa on Saturday, Feb. 4. Find complete local news coverage in the Odessa American every day, online at oaoa.com and our daily E-Edition at myoaoa.com.
1. Authorities say a Border Patrol agent has found a shallow grave containing human remains in a rural area near Alpine.
2. Federal regulators will begin a series of public meetings this month after formally accepting Waste Control Specialists’ application last week to begin storing spent nuclear fuel at a dump in Andrews County.
3. Odessa police arrested a 51-year-old man this week on a felony warrant accusing him of molesting an underage girl.
4. Permian Basin oil and gas companies added four rigs in the week ending Friday, according to the latest count from Baker Hughes.
5. IN SPORTS: The Panthers boys basketball team bolted to a commanding 24-7 advantage at the end of the first quarter en route to a 59-46 victory against the Bronchos at the Permian Fieldhouse.
6. EXTRA, EXTRA: IN SPORTS: The Lady Bronchos basketball team put together a complete game to win not only their first game this year, but their first District 2-6A contest this season as well as Odessa High defeated crosstown-rival Permian 45-32 Friday night at the Permian Fieldhouse.