Take a look at the news in and around Odessa on Friday, Feb. 3. Find complete local news coverage in the Odessa American every day, online at oaoa.com and our daily E-Edition at myoaoa.com.
1. The Odessa Chamber of Commerce named Sondra Eoff, who with her husband is investing millions in the city-supported downtown hotel and conference center, as the 2016 Citizen of the Year during a Thursday luncheon.
2. Odessa police Sgt. Jon Foust has seen a lot during his 28 years with the department but nothing compared with what he saw Sunday when flames engulfed a single-story home on North Lauderdale Avenue.
3. The Ellen Noël Art Museum return yet again to host the 31st Cajun feast known as Shrimpfest. Catering of the crustaceans begins at 7 p.m., Feb. 27 at the Ector County Coliseum in Building G.
4. The window to apply for magnet schools and transfers is now open for ECISD students. It runs through March 10.
5. IN SPORTS: The Odessa College men’s basketball team used a strong first half to pull out a solid victory against New Mexico Junior College.