Take a look at the news in and around Odessa on Friday, Feb. 17. Find complete local news coverage in the Odessa American every day, online at oaoa.com and our daily E-Edition at myoaoa.com.
1. During a Wednesday public hearing hosted by the agency in Andrews, more than half the crowd were locals in a community that mostly backs the Waste Control Specialists’s plan to store high-level nuclear waste from reactors across the country.
2. The Ector County Independent School District is among 12 Texas school districts that will be visited by U.S. Department of Education officials as part of an investigation on how districts find and serve special education students.
3. A 16-year-old Odessa High School student was arrested by school district police Thursday after reportedly slamming the assistant principal to the floor and punching him during a fight the official tried breaking up, a spokesman said.
4. A man was arrested this week on accusations of slamming his common-law wife on the floor and then choking her during an argument three months ago.
5. IN SPORTS: In the final minutes of regulation, James McPherson and Sammy Allen each supplied 3-pointers to help lift the UTPB men’s basketball team past Angelo State 93-90 in a Lone Star Conference contest on Thursday.