Ector County Hospital District board members serving on the audit committee will meet at noon today for a presentation on the audited financial statements for Fiscal Year 2017.
The meeting will be in the Administration Conference Room A at Medical Center Hospital, 500 W. Fourth St. The finance committee will also meet at 4:30 p.m. and the full ECHD board of directors will meet at 5:30 p.m. today for their regularly scheduled meetings in the board room at MCH.
District 5 board member Don Hallmark said the audit, while it’s a dull, dry read, is what they expected.
“The numbers are what we expected and I don’t think there was anything out of the ordinary on the audit. It don’t look good,” he said, adding “they obviously were spending way too much money.”
Hallmark, District 1’s Bryn Dodd and District 7’s Ben Quiroz, were all voted in during a May 2017 election. Both Hallmark and Dodd have maintained throughout their campaign, as well as their time on the board, MCH administration and the ECHD board at the time was overspending and had a problem with overexpansion.
“(The audit) is re-hashing a lot of things, the overspending of it had a lot to do with building and buying to build, and if that goes away, the numbers will obviously improve,” he said. “We’re at the point now where it looks like there’s daylight.”
Hallmark said since the hospital hired a new CEO, Rick Napper, and new CFO, Robert Abernethy, they have been working out a plan that to Hallmark, “makes all the sense in the world.”
The audit also addressed revenue issues with the Cerner conversion, which is already being addressed, Hallmark added.
BKD will also present a report to management following the audit presentation.
The audit committee may also consider going into executive session to receive the Compliance Report from the Chief Compliance Officer, the agenda shows.
During the regular finance committee meeting at 4:30 p.m., the committee will consider the financial report for four months ended Jan. 31, as well as receive a revenue cycle update by Abernethy.
The regular ECHD board will consider the following items:
- The president/CEO report, including a review of the strategic plan process, a physician transaction review committee process, a quarterly quality report and quarterly human resources report.
- Approval of the NICU/Perinatal service scope of service and organizational wide program plan.
- Meeting in executive session to discuss a litigation update on Meisell v. ECHD and deliberate and discuss the purchase, exchange, lease or value of real property.
- A tax abatement presentation for Oberon Solar given by Odessa Chamber of Commerce Director of Economic Development Wesley Burnett.
- The TTUHSC at the Permian Basin report.
- Committee reports.
- February 2018 employees of the month.