Marfa Public Radio, which broadcasts in Big Bend by KRTS 93.5 FM and Permian Basin through West Texas Public Radio at KXWT 91.3 FM, is collaborating with Marfa Myths, The Lot Radio and Dublab again this year.
Marfa Myths is an annual music, visual art and film festival founded in 2014 by Brooklyn-based record label Mexican Summer and contemporary arts nonprofit Ballroom Marfa.
During Marfa Myths, the two organizations bring together emerging and established musicians and visual artists to work creatively — and collaboratively — across disciplines. Marfa Myths presents performances and exhibitions in unusual venues across the surreal West Texas landscape, attracting guests from all over the world.
Here is what you should know:
- Marfa Public Radio will host live DJ sets and performances outside of the station today and Saturday.
- From 11 a.m. to noon, End of an Ear Records will DJ during the Oldies show. Julie Bernal will return with regularly scheduled programming at noon. There will be no top of the hour newscast.
- Local DJ sets will be broadcast from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday in lieu of World Cafe.
- All other performances and DJ sets will happen outside of broadcast.
During the weekend, performances and DJ sets with be live streamed through Marfa Public Radio’s Facebook page. An interview with artists from Ballroom’s latest exhibition, Hyperobjects, curated by Laura Copelin and Timothy Morton, will air at 9 a.m. today during West Texas Talk.
Marfa Myths headquarters will be stationed next door in the Marfa Studio of Arts building. Pick up your festival swag and shop for rare and eclectic records at the End of an Ear pop-up shop all weekend long.
Here is the schedule for what will be happening at the station Saturday:
- 10:30 a.m. to 11 a.m.: Rob Mazurek.
- 11 a.m. to noon: Visible Cloaks (DJ set).
- 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.: Letterpress Poster Workshop with Stumptown Printing (all ages).
- Noon to 1 p.m.: Xylouris White.
- 1 p.m. to 2 p.m.: Natalie Melendez (DJ set).
- 2 p.m. to 3 p.m.: Ryley Walker (DJ set).
- 3 p.m. to 4 p.m.: Jason Urik (DJ set).
- 4 p.m. to 5 p.m.: Wilderman.
- 5:30 p.m. to 7 p.m.: Reverberation Radio at Bar Nadar Pool.