A proposed STEM-based partnership between the University of Texas of the Permian Basin and Ector County Independent School district will be among the items discussed at an ECISD Board of Trustees work study session set for 6 p.m. today in the board room of the administration building, 802 N. Sam Houston Ave.
The idea is to build a seamless kindergarten through college science, technology, engineering and math pipeline and offer more student and teacher support. Supplemental material says through the partnership both sides will benefit from additional resources to improve student learning, anchor instructional philosophies in current literature and have access to resources and facilities needed to enhance academic achievement of students.
Falcon Early College High School, an ECISD campus on the UTPB campus, would be designated a Texas STEM academy, or T-STEM designated campus. The STEM Academy, a charter school created by UTPB, would build strong instructional foundations at ECISD’s improvement required campuses of Zavala Elementary and Ector Middle School.
ECISD has eight campuses on improvement required status under state accountability standards. Zavala and Noel Elementary schools and Ector Middle School are in their fifth year of improvement required, and if they don’t come off, the campuses will face closure or the Texas Education Commissioner will appoint a board of managers over the whole district.
The proposal says UTPB’s College of Education would be used as a resource to build teaching capacity, develop lesson cycles with focused lessons and assessments and provide chances for advanced degree attainment.
The partnership between the ECISD schools and the STEM Academy are possible through Senate Bill 1882.
Some of the other items on the agenda include:
- Discussion of improvement required campus updates.
- Discussion of a request for approval of a campus turnaround plan for Bonham Middle School.
- Discussion of a request for approval of Odessa High School Bronchettes out-of-state travel to Orlando, Fla.
- Discussion of a request for approval of the Texas Association of School Boards BuyBoard Cooperative management fee report.
- Discussion of a request for approval of an interlocal agreement with Region 17 Education Service Center for coordinating services.
- Discussion of a request for approval of tax foreclosed property.
- Discussion of a request for approval of the ECISD District Improvement Plan 2017-2018 goals/performance objectives.