No child in West Texas should go hungry this summer as the West Texas Food Bank launches a program to make sure they don’t.
No sign up is needed for children under 18 for the 2018 Summer Food Service Program to help feed children throughout the region.
The Summer Food Service Program (SFSP) ensures that low-income children continue to receive nutritious meals when school is not in session. This summer, USDA plans to serve more than 200 million free meals to children 18 years and under at approved SFSP sites.
The West Texas Food Bank is partnering with 13 sites and is preparing to serve more than 800 meals a day. All sites will be open to school aged kids 18 and under.
The West Texas Food Bank is also partnering with several volunteer groups to help serve the meals. Connection Christian Church of Odessa is returning for the third year to help out.
“A basic building block for a healthy community is having children who are fed, and a foundational tenet of our faith is to care for children,” The Rev. Dawn Weaks, Connection Christian Church of Odessa co-pastor, said.
She said the partnership with the West Texas Food Bank “blesses us with the opportunity to live out our faith and be part of building a healthy community. We thank God for the opportunity!”
The West Texas Food Bank is also partnering with the Museum of the Southwest in Midland as a site for kids to come eat, and enjoy what the museum has to offer. The Ellen Noel Art Museum in Odessa will be providing art activities for children at the La Promesa and 3rd Edition complexes.
Libby Campbell, executive director of the West Texas Food Bank said summer is the busiest time of year for the Food Bank. “We are looking forward to reaching the kiddos who are not getting two meals a day from school. The addition of fun activities for the kids is just a bonus! I am very thankful for the two museums for helping and I am especially grateful to all the volunteers who help us get 800 kids a day nutritious meals.”
Meals this summer are Monday through Friday at the following locations.
- Through Aug. 17: Lunch Service at Third Edition Apartments, 1201 Whitaker Ave. Call 334-6984.
- June 4 – Aug. 3: Lunch and Snack Service at La Promesa Apartments, 4590 N. Texas Ave. Call 367-4315. Site will be closed the week of July 2-6.
- June 4 – Aug. 7: Lunch and Snack Service at Wilkerson Boys & Girls Club, 800 E. 13th St. Call 337-8380.
- June 4 – Aug. 7: Lunch Service at Woodson Boys & Girls Club, 1037 E. Murphy St. Call 332-7891.
- June 11 – Aug. 7: Lunch and Snack Service at Taylor Park Boys & Girls Club, 1321 S. Goode St., Midland. Call 683-0050.
- June 11 – Aug. 7: Lunch and Snack Service at Halff Park Boys & Girls Club, 110 E. New Jersey Ave., Midland. Call 683-5297.
- June 12 – Aug. 10: Lunch Service (Tuesday through Friday only) at Museum of the Southwest, 1705 W. Missouri Ave., Midland. Call 683-2882.
- July 23-27: Lunch and Snack Service during Vacation Bible School at Asbury United Methodist Church, 4001 E. University Blvd. Call 366-4455.
- For more information on the program, visit www.wtxfoodbank.org.