Take a look at the news in and around Odessa on Monday, May 7. Find complete local news coverage in the Odessa American every day, online at oaoa.com and our daily E-Edition at myoaoa.com.
1. State Rep. Brooks Landgraf and Taya Kyle will unveil highway signs Tuesday designating a portion of Highway 191 for her late husband, “American Sniper” Chris Kyle.
2. The Odessa City Council could make Interim City Manager Michael Marrero’s appointment to the city’s top administrative role as soon as Tuesday.
3. Voters will choose between two candidates for Precinct 2 Justice of the Peace when early voting begins May 14: a courtroom administrator with nearly three decades of courtroom experience and a jeweler active in local politics.
4. IN SPORTS: The Odessa High Bronchos baseball team will take on the Abilene High Eagles in the area round of the Class 6A baseball playoffs at Moegle Field in Lubbock.
5. IN SPORTS: For the first time since 2016, the Permian Lady Panthers softball team is headed to the regional quarterfinals.