Take a look at the news in and around Odessa on Thursday, May 24. Find complete local news coverage in the Odessa American every day, online at oaoa.com and our daily E-Edition at myoaoa.com.
1. The Odessa City Council tasked an engineering firm with crafting a long-term transportation plan to guide future roadwork, including the city’s approach to road maintenance, identifying transportation needs and seeking state funds for major projects.
2. The day after Ector County voters elected Missi Walden to the justice of the peace seat in Precinct 2, County Judge Ron Eckert said he would like to appoint her to the position as soon as possible.
3. Police arrested a man Wednesday who was reportedly involved in a hit and run that left one man in critical condition.
4. The Junior League Jurassic Jungle sprayground will open to the public at noon Saturday. The new sprayground is located on the University of Texas of the Permian Basin campus.
5. SPORTS: The Andrews Lady Mustangs won their eighth-straight title at the UIL Class 4A State Girls Golf Tournament.