Take a look at the news in and around Odessa on Friday, May 18. Find complete local news coverage in the Odessa American every day, online at oaoa.com and our daily E-Edition at myoaoa.com.
1. An honor flight took off Thursday morning carrying 143 Permian Basin veterans to Washington, D.C., providing an opportunity for them to visit memorials erected in their honor. Many will be seeing them for the first time.
2. “The Sound of Music” is scheduled at 7:30 p.m. May 30 at the Wagner Noel Performing Arts Center as a part of Cristiani’s Jewelers 2017-1018 Broadway in the Basin series.
3. Hays STEAM Academy fifth-grade science teacher Amanda Webber is heading to NASA’s Johnson Space Center in Houston this summer for the LiftOff Summer Institute.
4. A man was arrested Wednesday after he reportedly assaulted his ex-girlfriend and held a gun to her head.
5. IN SPORTS: Jacob Munoz homered and Cristian Baseza pitched a three-hit shutout as the Odessa High Bronchos opened their Class 6A regional quarterfinal baseball series with a 1-0 victory over Keller Timer Creek on Thursday at Walt Driggers Field.