Take a look at the news in and around Odessa on Thursday, March 8. Find complete local news coverage in the Odessa American every day, online at oaoa.com and our daily E-Edition at myoaoa.com.
1. Seven people were charged Wednesday with capital murder after they reportedly kidnapped a man and then assaulted and sexually assaulted him before burying his body.
2. Ector County Judge Ron Eckert, who said last year that he would consider leaving his post as the county’s top administrator after the primaries, now says he has no immediate plans to resign amid work that includes finding a way to replace the courthouse and a May election for a new county sales tax.
3. A plan to offer the first six semester credit hours to high school students free and increasing scholarship money for students to take more dual credit courses was announced by Odessa College officials during an Ector County Independent School District meeting.
4. An Ector County grand jury indicted a man Monday accused of killing his roommate’s girlfriend while trying to commit a robbery last December.
5. Debt covenant compliance was an issue of concern pointed out during a recent meeting of the Ector County Hospital District audit committee.