Take a look at the news in and around Odessa on Friday, March 30. Find complete local news coverage in the Odessa American every day, online at oaoa.com and our daily E-Edition at myoaoa.com.
1. A stretch of highway in Upton County will now bear the name of a fallen hero, Upton County Deputy Billy “Bubba” Frank Kennedy Jr.
2. Odessa College Foundation received a $10,000 infusion from Chevron for the Chevron Instrumentation Scholarship, which will help about 20 students.
3. A woman wanted for driving while intoxicated reportedly abandoned her 3-year-old child while evading officers on foot Wednesday, according to an Ector County Sheriff’s office news release.
4. Odessa College is moving its truck driving program back in house after years of having a separate company train big rig operators. The demand for drivers is strong with the addition of sand mining and the continued growth in oilfield activity.
5. IN SPORTS: Hosting a playoff game for the first time in program history was a task the Odessa High girls soccer team took seriously. The Odessa High girls soccer team downed El Paso Coronado 3-0 Thursday afternoon in a Class 6A bi-district matchup at Ratliff Stadium.