Take a look at the news in and around Odessa on Friday, March 23. Find complete local news coverage in the Odessa American every day, online at oaoa.com and our daily E-Edition at myoaoa.com.
1. As the spring storm season arrives, the Insurance Council of Texas trade association encouraged home and vehicle owners to prepare should it bring more catastrophic weather.
2. Recognized for an array of contributions, Frosty Gilliam Jr. and his wife, Rhonda, of Odessa were given the Texas A&M University Foundation’s highest honor, the Sterling C. Evans Medal, during a Thursday dinner at the Odessa Country Club.
3. Eight students from St. John’s Episcopal School are among hundreds from the Permian Basin who were eligible to head to the Texas Science & Engineer Fair today and Saturday in San Antonio.
4. The Odessa Police Department has charged two suspects in connection with the burglary of more than $50,000 worth of property, including a taxidermy moose.
5. IN SPORTS: There’s no more safety net as 10 teams representing five schools compete in the two-day 2018 District 2-5A Championships. The competition starts at 4:15 p.m. today at the Permian Gymnastics Gymnasium.