Take a look at the news in and around Odessa on Thursday, March 1. Find complete local news coverage in the Odessa American every day, online at oaoa.com and our daily E-Edition at myoaoa.com.
1. An Odessa man is in critical condition following a shooting that occurred early this morning in South Odessa.
2. City officials say the November election will be the first ever forced by voters. After the Odessa City Council refused to call one voluntarily on a proposal to expand the board, thousands of voters who wanted a chance to decide on the changes signed a petition that forced the council’s hand.
3. The Midland County Attorney’s Office released a partial list of fire code violations discovered over the weekend at La Hacienda Event Center, located on Highway 191 in Midland County.
4. Candidates in the District 31 Texas Senate race, two of whom are backed by Texas Right to Life, had mixed reactions to the dispute between Texas Right to Life and the Catholic bishops who have severed ties with the organization.
5. Three suspects were charged by police Monday with reportedly stealing a vehicle from an apartment complex.