Take a look at the news in and around Odessa on Tuesday, June 5. Find complete local news coverage in the Odessa American every day, online at oaoa.com and our daily E-Edition at myoaoa.com.
1. The Ector County Independent School District Board of Trustees voted to publish a higher proposed tax rate of $1.22975 per $100 valuation for 2018 during a special board meeting Monday before receiving the certified appraisal roll and before adopting a budget.
2. A jury trial is beginning this week for a Fort Worth man accused of being involved in a shootout and a high-speed pursuit with an Ector County deputy two years ago.
3. For Ector County Judge Ron Eckert, the final straw came when he failed to convince the Ector County Commissioners Court to pursue taking on debt for a new courthouse. He said he knew it was time to quit.
4. Odessa police arrested three people last Friday on charges related to possession of methamphetamine.
5. The Ector County Hospital District board of directors will hear reports from its finance committee, its joint conference committee and its audit committee, while hearing updates from Medical Center Health System President and CEO Rick Napper, during the board’s regularly scheduled meeting today.