Take a look at the news in and around Odessa on Wednesday, Jan. 24. Find complete local news coverage in the Odessa American every day, online at oaoa.com and our daily E-Edition at myoaoa.com.
1. The City of Odessa is preparing to ramp up enforcement of a new truck routes ordinance aimed at curbing most semi-truck traffic within the city limits at a time when police and transportation officials report a surge in such traffic along 42nd Street.
2. Odessa City Council members continued to debate the merits of adding a new at-large council member and giving the mayor a vote on Tuesday but focused their concerns on geographical representation on the board as a May special election on the changes appears increasingly likely.
3. The Odessa Police Department charged a man Monday after he reportedly sexually assaulted a 19-year-old woman.
4. University of Texas of the Permian Basin violin major Richard Peralta has earned a spot in the Orvieto Musica Intensive Strings Festival set for June 16 through July 8 in Orvieto, Italy.
5. IN SPORTS: The Odessa High Bronchos overcame an extended dry spell Tuesday to hold off Amarillo Tascosa for a 52-49 victory at the OHS Fieldhouse in District 2-6A boys basketball action. The Permian boys basketball team extended its win streak to 14 games Tuesday night as it took down Midland Lee 65-37 in District 2-6A action at the Chaparral Center.