Take a look at the news in and around Odessa on Monday, Jan. 21. Find complete local news coverage in the Odessa American every day, online at oaoa.com and our daily E-Edition at myoaoa.com.
1. Ector County Sheriff’s Office Sgt. Brandon Blake and reserve officer Trent Sellers each had one common goal — put together a benefit to assist the three deputies shot in the line of the duty.
2. Ector County Judge Debi Hays said the result of no longer housing federal prisoners at the courthouse will be seen in the county’s budget going forward.
3. An Odessa man is dead following a major crash that occurred Saturday evening in East Odessa.
4. Ector County Independent School District Assistant Superintendent for Human Resources Gregory Nelson compares the challenge of filling the district’s large number of teacher openings to eating an elephant: It’s one bite at a time.
5. For Dustin Fawcett, Odessa was a destination. Now vice president of the Midland-Odessa Transportation Alliance, Fawcett said he’d always wanted to visit West Texas. MOTRAN is an alliance between Odessa and Midland that has been instrumental in raising funds for and improving the infrastructure of the Permian Basin area, its website said.