Take a look at the news in and around Odessa on Wednesday, Jan. 10. Find complete local news coverage in the Odessa American every day, online at oaoa.com and our daily E-Edition at myoaoa.com.
1. The Odessa Police Department charged an Odessa High School clerk Wednesday after she reportedly exchanged sexually explicit text messages with a 17-year-old student, according to an OPD news release.
2. Odessa’s District 5 City Councilman Filiberto Gonzales said his opposition to a proposal to restructure the City Council is really not about civil rights for him. Gonzales also said he does not see the changes as a way of weakening Hispanic voting strength for positions on a board he argues does not make racially polarized decisions.
3. The Odessa Police Department charged a woman Sunday after she reportedly bit the fingers of her parents during an argument, an OPD press release stated.
4. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. was committed to serving others, and that’s a commitment that the Black Cultural Council of Odessa seeks to shine a spotlight on this weekend for Martin Luther King Jr. Day.
5. IN SPORTS: The Odessa High boys soccer team won its first game of the season Tuesday, taking down Abilene High 5-2 at Shotwell Stadium.
6. BONUS: IN SPORTS: Jake Orman and Will Woodfin won the open division of the Super Tuesday Team Roping at Ector County Coliseum.