Take a look at the news in and around Odessa on Friday, Feb. 9. Find complete local news coverage in the Odessa American every day, online at oaoa.com and our daily E-Edition at myoaoa.com.
1. The city’s legal department presented a new wrinkle in the form of a council procedure that could block the May election that petitioners seek.
2. Republican candidates to become the next Ector County judge split on a strategy for replacing the courthouse and argued whether the county’s top administrator should hold a law license as they pitched themselves to lead a financially troubled government during an Ector County Bar Association forum on Thursday.
3. An expired vehicle registration led to the arrest of a fugitive wanted for sexual assault.
4. Growth in the local economy continued to drive an increase in Odessa’s sales tax revenue in February, marking more than a year of month-over-month increases.
5. IN SPORTS: Fresh off an open date, the Odessa College Wranglers men’s basketball team came out running Thursday to take an 84-66 victory against outmanned New Mexico Military Institute in Western Junior College Athletic Conference men’s basketball action at the OC Sports Center.