Sea lions, pro wrestlers, country music, Tejano music and, of course, cars, are all part of the Garriga Law Firm’s 22nd annual Fiesta West Texas, a family-centered event to celebrate Hispanic culture.
The annual blowout begins at 5 p.m. May 4 and noon May 5-6 at the Ector County Coliseum, 4201 Andrews Highway.
Activities include live entertainment, nightly concerts, carnival rides and games, a parade, horse team roping, goat roping, bull riding, a washer tournament, food, exhibits, contests and more.
Festivities are on the weekend of Cinco de Mayo, a holiday that celebrates the date of the Mexican army’s 1862 victory over France at the Battle of Puebla during the Franco-Mexican War.
The annual Fiesta West Texas has always included music and cars and games but this year will also have the Human Rocket Man and the Sea Lion Splash as an attraction for younger audiences.
Also, Lucha Libre professional Mexican luchadores; X Metal BMX Riders, a team extreme stunt show featuring various motorcycles and the Globe of Death; and two interactive animal shows, Sea Lion Splash Show and Nerger’s Tigers (Bengal/Siberian tigers) are scheduled attractions.
The Fiesta Car Show is an indoor and outdoor car show with lowriders, classic cars, muscle cars, custom cars, trucks and bikes, and will be on view throughout the weekend. Trophies and cash prizes will be awarded. For more information on the car show, call Joel with Exotic Suspensions at 339-1168 or 664-2104.
The Miss Chiquitita 2018 pageant for girls, ages 1-10, is scheduled May 5. For more information, call 425-0972.
The following music artists have been scheduled to perform.
- May 4: Country Fest featuring Wade Bowen, Kevin Fowler, Mike Ryan and Grant Gilbert. Tickets are $20 in advance.
- May 5: Go Tejano Day featuring Siggno, Lucky Joe, Jaime y Los Chamacos, Erick y Su Grupo Massore, Shelly Lares and La Dez. Tickets are $13 in advance.
- May 6: Perdidos de Sinaloa, La Energia Nortena, La Fiera de Ojinaga, Geru y Su Legion and El Nuevo Corcel. Tickets are $15 in advance.
Attractions scheduled throughout the event include the antics of the Sea Lion Splash Show, which is a traveling sea lion show. Also, Nerger’s Tigers is a show of Bengal and Siberian tigers that toured in Europe for 30 years. When not performing, the tigers will be on display.
Two-day passes for May 5-6 will be sold for $20 through Tuesday. Admission is free for kids age 5 and under. Tickets are available online and at La Nueva Moda, Endless Horizons and Super Mercado.
For more information, tickets or VIP tables, call 385-7135 or visit myfiestawesttexas.com.
- What: The Garriga Law Firm’s 22nd annual Fiesta West Texas.
- When: Gates open 5 p.m. May 4 and noon May 5-6.
- Where: The Ector County Coliseum.
- Tickets: Visit myfiestawesttexas.com for tickets