Permian High School fine arts students followed in the footsteps of their athlete counterparts by having their own signing day.
Orchestra Director Todd Berridge said there were 18 students in the band hall at Permian putting their signatures to paper, but 25 had committed. He added that was about the same number as last year.
“These are the best of the best. This is the top of the top. These are the kids that are going to change the world right here,” Berridge said.
Mellennie Maria Herrera, 18, plans to enlist in the U.S. Marine Corps. Although she has played violin for 13 years, she won’t be in the Marine Corps band.
“I’ve always wanted to be a cop,” Herrera said. “I’ve always wanted to give back to the community and this is just another step. This is giving back to my country.”
Kenneth Caudle, 18, plans to attend West Texas A&M University in Canyon to study music education.
“Honestly, there’s been a few points where I didn’t think I was going to graduate, but getting this far it feels like a real accomplishment,” Caudle said. “I’m really excited that I get to go to a school that’s really good in music. They can teach me so much more than I already know, that I’d like to know.”
Caudle said being in band has taught him leadership skills, how to cooperate with others and teamwork, especially in marching band.
“It’s definitely helped me,” he said.
Tess Allen, 18, plans to attend the University of Texas of the Permian Basin to study international business. Allen played the cello in orchestra.
“I’m going to open my own coffee shop of some sort, so I can travel and communicate and get different types of beans and learn from different people and roasters,” Allen said.
“What’s life without coffee?” Allen asked.
- Jaiden Abila: OC Blues Dance Team (dance scholarship).
- Alexia Paez-Soto: OC Blues Dance Team (dance scholarship).
- Emerald Terrell: OC Blues Dance Team (dance scholarship).
- Mellennie Herrera: U.S. Marines (full scholarship upon completion).
- Heriberto Munoz: U.S. Air Force (full scholarship upon completion).
Music (band, choir, orchestra):
- Clarissa Darnell: Odessa College (music scholarship).
- Andrew Maldonado: Texas Tech University (music scholarship).
- Peyton Kidd: University of Texas of the Permian Basin (radio/film/TV scholarship).
- Tess Allen: UTPB (music scholarship).
- Renee Pelopero: UTPB (music scholarship).
- Parker Rathbun: UTPB (music scholarship).
- Timmothy Tijerina: UTPB (music scholarship).
- Kennison Vardeman: UTPB (music scholarship/Allen Jones Legacy Scholarship).
- Kenneth Caudle: West Texas A&M (music scholarship).
- Patrick Lucas: West Texas A&M (academic and music scholarship).
- Payne Morris: West Texas A&M (Mercer Music Scholarship).
- Josh Sepulveda: West Texas A&M (music scholarship).