The Commissioners’ Court will consider approving Public Power Pool as an electric provider for the Ector County Law Enforcement Center jail additions project.
Ector County Commissioners will meet at 10 a.m. Tuesday in the commissioners’ courtroom, Room 120, located in the Ector County Administration building annex, 1010 E. Eighth St.
Public Power Pool is an electrical aggregate that has provided services to the county for about 15 years. The agenda item will seek the approval of commissioners to expand services to the new jail facility.
County commissioners originally approved an expansion to the jail to be paid for by a $25 million debt issuance, but the main contract awarded to Cooper Construction came in lower at $18.9 million. Additional costs included $1,380,450 in professional services, the $142,700 bond issuance cost and other soft costs, such as advertising and travel expenses.
The lower contract price gave county officials an opportunity to invest and increase longevity of the jail by pulling expenses out of the jail expansion fund for other projects and needed equipment. One of the top wish-list items was a renovated booking and intake area, which commissioners approved for $590,160. The goal in mind was to upgrade the dated area to help expedite the process of getting incarcerated persons booked in so an arresting officer would not be slowed down by administrative tasks.
The jail additions project includes adding a 60,000 square foot building at the ECLEC with 412 beds, bringing the total number of beds at the jail to 1,019.
Ector County Sheriff Mike Griffis said the expansion could save Ector County money by allowing the sheriff’s office to accommodate the growing number of incarcerated persons rather than outsourcing inmate housing and care to other facilities. In December, Ector County had about 10 interlocal agreements with other county jails to carry out this service, which costs about $8,000 a day.
Construction began in February 2018 and the project is anticipated to be completed in October.
IN OTHER BUSINESS, COMMISSIONERS WILL
- Consider approving a passport fair hosted by the district clerk from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. March 30 at the Ector County Courthouse.
- Consider increasing the fee charged for the district clerk’s passport photo services.
- Consider authorizing the payment of five overtime hours for each deputy clerk who will work the passport fair on March 30.
- Consider authorizing the acceptance of insurance proceeds from Travelers – St. Paul and Marine in the amount of $3,417.50 per Total Loss Declaration by Travelers of unit No. 952 Sheriff’s Office Vehicle: 2011 Chevrolet Impala LS (Fleet), VIN No. 2G1WD5EM9B1211530.
- Consider guidance on the Non-Citizen Report from the Secretary of State Advisory.
- Consider approving a request from the Plains All American Pipeline to close a section of W. Hillmont Road (Limits: from Sprague Road to Mary Francis Avenue) for subsurface contamination delineation due to previously punctured pipeline at the location.
- Consider approving the replacement of the existing door entry system for the sheriff offices and jail administration offices.
- Instruct the human resources director on what action to take regarding the vacancy created by the retirement of the tax assessor-collector, effective Feb. 28.
- Consider approving the following proposal specification: Coliseum – Horse Stall Barn.
- Consider approving the following bids: a.) liquid asphalt emulsions; b.) asphalt patching material; c.) graded base material; d.) seal coat aggregate; and e.) water.
- Consider approving the purchase of a Truck – 2019 Ford F-150 Crew Cab 4×2 SWB; approve a budget amendment for an amount of $27,356 from Sheriff’s Office, Donated Revenues, 051-4171 to Equipment Services Fund, Motor Vehicle Equipment,051-770-5505.
- Consider approving an agreement with Tyler Technologies and a budget amendment to General Fund, County Treasurer, Office Supplies, 001-270-5171 from Unreserved Fund Balance, 001-3310 in the amount of $1,250.
- Consider approving a resolution for a proposed grant to provide SWAT Van.
- Consider approving a request to hire a previous employee who left as a telecommunicator Step 6 and rehire back as a telecommunicator Step 3.
- Clarify the revision to the retired employee definition for eligibility to qualify for health and dental benefits under the Ector County Employee Health Benefit Plan, effective Jan. 1.
- Consider approving a Replat of a Portion of Lot 4, Block 5, Youngville Subdivision a Subdivision of Ector County, Texas.
- Consider approving Gardendale Terrace, Third Filing being 73.84 acres out of Section 10, Block 41, T-1-S, T&P RR. Co. Survey, Ector County, Texas
- Consider using funds from Airport Capital Improvement Fund 046-870-5509 to remove existing fence and relocate the fence at the Schlemeyer Field.
- Consider approving a proposed line item transfer to FMLR Fund, Engineering Department, Department Furniture and Equipment, 002-820-5199, in the amount of $4,000 from FMLR Fund, Engineering Department, Special Departmental Equipment, 002-830 -5507 in the amount of $4,000.
- Consider approving a proposed line item transfer to FMLR Fund, Traffic Operations Department, Special Departmental Equipment, 002-830-5507 in the amount of $16,500 from FMLR Fund, Traffic Operations Department, Sign Materials &Supplies, 002-830-5245 for the acquisition of sign printing equipment.
- Consider approving a proposed line item transfer to FMLR Fund, Engineering Department, Educational Travel, 002-820-5161 in the amount of $3,000 from Road Department, Safety Training and Supplies, 002-810-5401 in the amount of $1,000 and Educational Travel, 002-810-5161 in the amount of $1,000 and from Traffic Operations Department, Educational Travel, 002-830-5161 in the amount of $1,000.
- Consider approving a budget amendment to Coliseum Fund, Building Materials 41-860-5241 from Unreserved Fund Balance 41-3310 in the amount of$23,000 for a HVAC locker room renovation.
- Consider approving a budget amendment from Unreserved Fund Balance, 001-3310 in the amount of $37,018 to Non Departmental Other, Retirement, 001-950-5123.
- Consider approving a budget amendment to General Fund, Non Departmental Other, Professional Services, 001-950-5307 from Unreserved Fund Balance, 001-3310 in the amount of $262,912.
- Consider approving a budget amendment to Airport Capital Improvement Fund, Grantee Contribution, 046-870-5398 from Unreserved Fund Balance, 046-3310in the amount of $90,380.
- Consider approving Stifel Financial Corporation as an investment broker for county investments.
- Consider approving the Accounts Payable Fund Requirements Report for Feb. 26 and review county financial statements and reports.