GOOD NEWS: Sul Ross coach accepts head men’s soccer position at McMurry

ALPINE Head men’s and women’s soccer coach Marquis Muse has accepted the head men’s coaching position at McMurry University in Abilene.

Muse’s final day at Sul Ross will be on April 29.

“I would like to thank Sul Ross State University for giving me the opportunity to start both the men’s and women’s soccer programs,” said Muse. “I know I am leaving behind two groups of student-athletes that are focused on helping Sul Ross continue its upward trajectory.”

Muse served as the first head coach in program history for both the women’s and men’s teams. He became the women’s coach in 2015 and later helped found and coach the men’s program in 2018.

“I am thankful for Coach Muse’s leadership in building the soccer programs at Sul Ross,” said Athletic Director Amanda Workman. “He has done an outstanding job for the Lobos and will be missed by many.”

Muse compiled a 32-45-10 record on the women’s side that included four appearances in the conference tournament. He finished with a career-best .633 winning percentage in the 2018 season after a 9-5-1 record that saw the Lobos host an ASC Quarterfinals game.

In just their third season, Muse helped lead the men to their first tournament appearance in 2021 with a 2-5-1 record. He compiled an overall record of 8-27-4 in his three seasons since starting the program in 2018.

“We could not have asked for a better coach to start our SRSU Lobo soccer program,” said President Pete Gallego. “Coach Muse is leaving us with a lot of excitement and on a high note. Both men’s and women’s programs have plenty of returning experience and both teams made it to the playoffs this past year. We wish coach Muse the best on the next chapter of his career and we thank him for his time and commitment to our Sul Ross student-athletes.”