GOOD NEWS: Former Odessan represents DKMS at NYC marathon

Ricky Martinez, formerly of Pecos and Odessa, represented DKMS at the 2021 NYC marathon on Nov. 7.

Martinez expresses, “I am happy to let everyone know that I trained hard, raised funds, made it to the start line, and crossed the NYC marathon finish line. The race started in Staten Island, which I had to get up at 4 a.m. to get ready and catch the ferry by 5:45 a.m. I arrived to the start line area around 7 a.m. and waited until the start of my race at 9:10 a.m.” He continues, “I am beyond excited to say that I ran the streets of New York with 33,000 other runners and walkers. We made our way from Staten Island to Brooklyn to Queens to Bronx to Harlem to Manhattan, which the race ended in Central Park.” “I completed the marathon in 3:27:57. It’s a tough course, but the crowds in all of the Burroughs bring the noise and energy to get you through it all.”

DKMS is part of the world’s largest network of bone marrow donor centers – leading the fight against blood cancers and disorders by growing the international bone marrow registry and connecting patients with lifesaving donors. Globally, DKMS has registered more than 10.7 million donors and facilitated over 92,000 transplants.

Martinez is on the bone marrow registry. Anyone can become a donor by signing up online on Be The Match registry at bethematch.org.

DKMS paid for Martinez’s NYC marathon entry fee and his part was to raise funds and awareness for DKMS. His goal was to raise $3,000 by Nov. 21 and Martinez states, “I am happy to say that I have exceeded that amount and still happily accepting more donations until the deadline.” To donate, visit getinvolved.dkms.org/fundraiser/3319954.

Martinez is a 2000 graduate of Pecos High School and previously attended Odessa High School, Ector Junior High School and Austin Elementary. He currently lives in Little Rock, Ark. He is the son of Martha and Victor Martinez of Odessa and grandson of Tomasa and Genaro Mendoza of Pecos.