GOOD NEWS: Dual credit student wins 2021 Drive to Success

Isabella Vazquez, winner of the 2021 Drive to Success, stands with KOSA TV news anchor Jay Hendricks by her new 2021 Ford Mustang. (Courtesy Photo)

On a very wet and rainy afternoon, one student’s spirits could not be dampened – she had just won a new blue 2021 Ford Mustang.

Isabella Vasquez, her mother and younger sister had driven in the rain from Pecos, where she currently resides, to Odessa so that she could participate with six other finalists in the 2021 Drive to Success® Finale held April 29 at the Odessa College Sewell Auto Tech building.

“I was very excited and nervous and glad for the opportunity to be a Drive to Success Finalist,” Vasquez said. “When I realized that I was the winner, I was even more nervous and excited!”

When asked about her plans after winning the Mustang, she said she plans to “be successful in whatever she chooses to do and is thinking of going into accounting.” She is currently a junior at Pecos High School and a Dual Credit Student and plans to graduate in May 2022 with her associate degree in General Studies from Odessa College and her high school diploma.

On the way to the finale, Isabella told her mother that If she won the Mustang, she was going to drive it to her high school prom. The day after she got her new car – she did just that.

Drive to Success (DTS) is the ULTIMATE incentive program to encourage student engagement. To qualify to earn DTS points and be entered into the participants’ pool, a student must be taking at least six credit hours of course work and be in good standing with a minimum 2.0 cumulative GPA, and no major disciplinary violations. During the academic year, students can attend campus events, go to tutoring, and take part in other Student Life activities to earn more DTS points and improve their chances of winning the Grand Prize of a new Ford Mustang.

Sponsors for the Drive to Success are the Sewell Ford, Rosa’s Café, Taco Villa, Complex Community Credit Union, the University of Texas Permian Basin, and media sponsor CBS7.