A man suffered critical injuries after he was exposed to Hydrogen Sulfide gas in Crane, according to Crane police and hospital officials.
The incident happened near Golf Course Road and Highway 385 Tuesday afternoon, and several hours later much remained unclear about the incident. Emergency responders took the victim to Crane Memorial Hospital, where he was airlifted to Midland Memorial Hospital. A spokesperson at MMH said the man was listed in critical condition by about 3 p.m.
Hydrogen Sulfide (H2S) is a colorless gas that smells like rotten eggs. Often referred to as “sewer gas,” H2S is highly poisonous. Usually, the poisoning it causes is though inhalation and has a toxicity similar to cyanide. It is found in petroleum and natural gas and is sometimes present in groundwater.
A police dispatcher in Crane referred questions to the hospitals and said the department did not have an exact location of the incident, nor details about what caused it. A spokesperson with the Railroad Commission of Texas said the agency had not received a report of the incident by late Tuesday afternoon. A spokesperson with the Occupational Health and Safety Administration did not immediately respond to an inquiry from the newspaper.